Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Reptiles, Amphibians and Tadpoles, Oh My!


Lately, ambhibians and reptiles have had a growing significance in my life. It all started several weeks ago when one evening there was a god-awful noise in my front yard. I go out to see a little toad on the edge of my pond. Amazing that one little guy could make all that noise. Next night. More noise. Go out to investigate. The party has started. The pond is full of about 6 toads swirling and swimming about. Amphibian Discotecque.


Must have really worn them out. The next morning they were still "hanging out". Uh.... yeah. One of the "ladies" had a missing front hand and a missing eye. I took to calling her "Stumpy".
This new development sent me running to Google. What impact would these intruders have on my three fan-tailed goldfish - Marilyn, Ricardo and Smack? The advice seemed to be to keep the water clean. Only stupid fish eat eggs or tadpoles (toxic to fish) and that toads are good b/c they eat mosquitos. Duh. That's what I got the fish for. Well, as you might guess from the picture, a few days later the pond was full of tadpoles and devoid of toads (what kind of parents are they?). Since then I have been scooping some of the hundreds of pollywogs into a bucket and transporting them into Shoal Creek. There are still hundreds more still in the pond. I fear their exit to the world will make our front yard look like it was plagued.
Then, just today there was a lizard in the play room. I caught it with a cup and plate. What good are cats if they don't rid our house of vermin?


No comments: