
We are missing family and friends today, but our little family is celebrating with bacon wrapped filet mignon and twice baked potatoes. We are incredible blessed to have the girls for the second Christmas now.
I had never paid much attention to the Nativity story, but after giving birth, I feel much more empathy with Mary and did a little research (thanks wikipedia). Can you imagine leaving your cozy hometown 9 months pregnant to travel 90 miles south to Bethlehem for a government census? Only to go into labor and have to give birth in a barn and lay your precious baby in a manger?
And the gifts that have become so central part (to an excess?) of our Christmas celebration? Raising babies does take a lot of gold, so that would be useful. Frankincense is an arommatic resin, or perfume. That would be good to mask stinky diapers. Myrrh is dried sap with rejuvenating medicinal properties - in particular to purge stagnant blood from the uterus. Little something for Mom.
I doubt any of these will be showing up in my stocking tonight.
No comments:
Post a Comment