Monday, December 31, 2007

More and less

The new year is a chance to clean the slate, start fresh. I am doing what everyone else is doing and cleaning out baby clothes and toys. Some have been stored away for friends or #3 if we should be so lucky (and if Greg stops muttering about vasectomies after 10 days straight with two grumpies. more on that later.)

My standby kid's resale store is only taking new clothes. No toys, no gear. So, basically my whole carload went to Salvation Army. No cash, but there's the tax deduction. And room for the Christmas toys.

Here is my list of "resolutions", framed as what I want more of, and what I want less of in my life.

More:
Exercise. Isn't this on everyone's list? I want to continue the walking with the girls and the stroller fit classes, but want to have some solo stints as well. For now, I want to go to a yoga class at least once a week. I might join the gym (depending on how the budget shapes up, see resolution below).

Cooking. I cook for the girls, but have slacked off for Greg and I. I realize when the nightly question is "where should I go pick up dinner?" its a problem. For our budget and our health. This one is all about planning. I go to the supermarket frazzeled, just knowing I need milk and chicken nuggets and everything else I buy on the fly. This week I actually have 6 recipes I'm doing, including our NYE dinner tonight (red snapper, citrus pasta and tiramisu).

God. O.k. so I just read Eat. Pray. Love. and was jealous of the connection with God that she found. I don't know if its meditating, reading my bible more, finding a church, probably a combination of these.

Money. I need to start consulting again. Seriously. I want to be working 10-15 hours a week on a fairly regular basis. Good for my sanity and gives our budget more cushion.

Greg and Jenny time. Date nights are needed. I call Greg "Daddy" way too much, and not in a naughty way.


Less:

Mindless television. You have TIVO woman. Use it. There are too many decent shows and movies out there for me to sit and watch I Love New York II. I do tend to do things while I watch (laundry), but I can watch something that won't rot my soul.

Spending. We have gone basically our whole marriage without a budget. First, we both had decent incomes and didn't feel the pain. Then we had two babies and didn't have the time. We have some cushion, but it hurts me to see my little stash slipping away. We're making a budget and sticking to it.

Clutter. Cleaning out closets. The garage (disaster). Need to create clutter and cleaning processes. Husband is cringing right now.


Whew. Better get busy. Happy New Year Y'all! Feel free to share your favorite resolution for 2008.

1 comment:

Happy Home said...

i want to start cooking more too, we pull out the take out menus waay too much around here. like you said, it is expensive, not healthy and really gets old not to have fresh food.

i have this idea that's been brewing about a recipie exchange. have a group of friends print out one or two of their favorite dinner ideas that are quick, don't need many fresh ingredients and healthy. we could meet and cut and paste onto cards and exchange.

having some good standbys to grab on the way out to the grocery store would help me.

i'll post one of my favorites tomorrow - saffron orzo pasta with grilled chicken and bell pepper.