Monday, February 14, 2011

Sucker


This past weekend Lucy stopped sucking her thumb (for now). We did this with a bitter nailpolish (mavala) and gum bribery. Now we need to get her off the methadone - I mean gum.

I have mixed feelings about this. I know it is the right thing for her physical (germs, viruses runinng rampant) and her dental health, but I worry about my and her mental health. She has had more trouble getting to sleep. This a.m. she came in to snuggle. This used to be a the highlight of my day, she would nestle in, suck her thumb and we'd drift back to sleep. This a.m. I had to stroke her arm, so no more sleep for me. *sigh* I know she'll figure out how to calm herself without the thumb, but I also feel like I lost a little bit of her babyness.

But I'm trying to raise healthy little people, not keep babies for myself (that's what pets are for, right?) That's why sometimes you put bitter nailpolish on their sucky thumb and take them to school in their pajamas (more on that later).

No comments: