Mommy has discovered that she can unload the dishwasher if the television is on. Shameful. Anyway, I have felt the need to critique the shows. Keep in mind that much of my viewing takes place at the kitchen sink where I can't actually see the television. Unless I hear something particularly riveting and run in.
Sesame Street: Old school. Maybe its because I watched this when I was a child (and bought episodes from the 70s for the girls) I can't find much fault with this. Muppets. Words of the Day. Songs about vegetables. Diversity. Elmo. What more could you ask for? As an adult, I think I might enjoy it more. James Blunt singing "My Triangle" to the tune of "You're Beautiful". Alicia Keys singing about dancing with Elmo. Skits using Law&Order (tv), Hair (the musical), and opera singers (real ones). Gold standard.
Grade: A
Curious George: I want to like this because it runs on PBS. But I don't so much. First there is the Man in the Yellow Hat, who Twinstant has waxed poetic about. First of all, that's his name. The monkey has a name. And the neighbor cat. But not the main human character. And then there is the yellow. Hat. Outfit. Swim outfit (which involves a tank top). Ick. And he leaves his monkey, which is like a toddler with superpowers to his own devices. And is surprised to come home to a hole in his drywall or a web in his living room. And, oh. He lives with a monkey. Creepy. And its cartoon. Lose points for that. Plus, what lessons does this teach my toddlers? Destroy things? No. thank. you. On the other hand they have a jazzy theme song.
Grade: D
Clifford the Big Red Dog: Again, on PBS. A cartoon. Not particularly realistic since there is a GIANT red dog and all the dogs talk. On the other hand there are valuable social lessons. Play nice with your friends, yadda yadda. And how many times do I have to hear the story of how Clifford got so big that they had to move out of the city to some podunk island?
Grade: C
Teletubbies: This is pretty new to our lineup. But as soon as the girls saw the teletubbies they went nuts and now yell "Tubbies!" when they see them. At first I despised the Tubbies. But I decided to watch. They sound and walk like real toddlers. LaLa, Dipsy, Tinky Winky and some other. They live in an awesome geodesic underground dome. The set is cool. It looks like tis actually outside. With bunnies running around. Major points for bunnies. The baby face in the sun is a bit creepy. As is the "time for teletubbies" computerized chant. But overall seems like its appropriate for them.
Grade: B
Signing Times: Riveting. If you are in the 1-2 set. Plus they are learning valuable communication skills. As long as I also know the signs they are doing. Requires me to watch too. The theme song is catchy and I can insert my only children's names easily "Its signing time with Harper and Lucy"
Grade: B+
Yo Gabba Gabba: I haven't quite gotten my brain around this one. Maybe its because I am not shrooming. Skinny black dude with crazy orange 'fro and track suit is a little offputting, yet entertaining. LOVE the songs. There's a Party in My Tummy. So Yummy. So Yummy.
Grade: B-
Max and Ruby: Cartoon bunnies. To be honest, I have no idea what other value this show has. Seems snore. Even the theme song is boring. Max and Ruby, Ruby and Max... oh, I'm sorry, are you still reading this?
Grade: C-
Blues Clues: Ugh. The host (Steve) is a DORK. With a light and dark green striped rugby shirt, and pleated pants. Interacting (excitedly) with a cartoon dog and a cartoon salt and pepper shaker. I googled this one. Apparently he auditioned for the show with an earring and long hair thinking it was voiceover. Since he left the show he is a touring indie rock musician. Still. Ick. Yet, the content seems to challenge mentally. More than cartoon bunnies anyway.

Grade: B-
Thanks for playing.
5 comments:
teletubbies are a big hit here...we just discovered them. the other day i was trying to nurse holden and they came on tv.
anyway, holden wouldn't nurse, he only wanted to watch the tubbies. must remind him of his siblings.
and turns out the 'big kids' go nuts over tubbies too. especially lala and the baby sun.
We love us some PBS in the morning. We kick it off with Yorge (Curious George) and play through Woof (Clifford) and then the world stops for Susa Ya (Super Why!). And Ruby will now recite a litany of the line up just to narc me out on how much tv I let them watch. "Yorge! Woof! Susa! Elmo!" Thanks kid.
rowdygirls: superwhy - is that the super readers? They've got a snappy theme song. And they play that la cucharacha bit in the middle. I haven't caught a whole episode yet though...
Yes, that's the one. And they do the hustle at the end to some kind of snazzy porn sounding music. Which wigged me out at first, but then I had to laugh. Mostly b/c Em and Roo both DO the dance now.
I'm late to comment, as usual, but you should try George in the evening when you need things to settle down... the jazz music is the perfect soother.. and for some reason my kids haven't caught on to the curious ides. Max & Ruby is an AWFUL show that my 3 y/o happens to love. It has been banned in the house. Sesame Street is a sometimes favorite (pushed by mommy) and Super Why is our new favorite-- what could be better than superheros mixed with the abcs!? Don't get me started on noggin.. it's like crack in our house!
Post a Comment