Naps are elusive around here. Sometimes I can get them to sleep by putting in a movie and setting them up. About 10 minutes into it they conk out, or don't.
On Thursday and Friday I actually got naps because of a recently developed fear of witches. Stay with me here. On Wednesday night, Greg had a meeting and I was tired so before gearing up for bedtime we all laid in my bed and I told them stories. One of the stories was about Princess Lucy and Princess Harper, but when I inserted a witch into the tale, I was shut down. It sounds mean to talk about witches in stories, but they are already out there. In Dora. In the Princess movies. In Super Why (PBS programming teaching preschoolers to read). They have never been scared of the witches.
But then on Thursday at nap time they were wearing their swim diapers and pretending to be fishes instead of sleeping. I said something that reminded them of a witch and they whipped them off and were freaking out. They wouldnt' leave me. So I used this to get them to nap in the guest bed. They did it on Friday too. Today, they started off in their little beds, but then Lucy was talking about a "really, really mean witch" and got Harper going.
Tough decision - rested neurotic children or psychologically sound exhausted chidlren? I tried shutting it down by saying that witches were pretend, but I am not sure Harper believed me. Instead she went and napped with Greg while they watched golf. I'm pretty sure there aren't any witches on the PGA.
No comments:
Post a Comment