Monday, May 18, 2009

Our first child



Murdoch is our amazing yellow lab. Sweet with children. A great hunting companion. A bit of a pig, but it works in our favor at mealtime.

He has also been my running partner. On Friday we went for our normal a.m. run while the girls were at school. On the way back he started thrashing around. I thought maybe he was jumping and getting his leash caught, but when I pulled over it became clear something was very wrong. He was having a major seizure. I quickly got some water to him. I drove to the park around the corner to get him cooled off and get him more water, but it became clear he was not capable of even standing up. I rushed him to the emergency vet, which thank God was right down the street. They hellped him in and quickly worked to get him calmed, tested and hydrated. I am not ashamed to admit I was bawling. Not only was it horrifying to watch him with his worried face, but I felt responsible.

The analysis - he might have a type of epilepsy triggered by the heat. His temp was high but everything else was normal. Needless to say we will not be running partners this summer. Just swimming and walks for him.

1 comment:

RG Mama said...

poor poor baby. He and Maggie dog can have a laid back recovery date sometime.