Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Skinny Babies

So, I have been minorly fretting over my underweight offspring. I know its not that big of a deal, but before babies can DO anything, people gauge how well you are taking care of them by how chunky they are. And the bigger, the better. "How much do they weigh?" Is a pretty common question, almost as common as "How much did they weigh when they were born?". Which is usually followed with, "My one weighed more than both of yours combined."

A playgroup mate who is only 9 months old (half the age of harper and lucy) weighs 23 lbs. When I was at the doctor she asked me how much I weighed when I was 18 months. You know, I don't remember, but I DO have a baby book. I just checked it.

So, at 17 months:

Jenny
Ht: 33 1/2"
Wt: 19lbs 9.5oz

at 18 months:

Lucy:
Ht: 29 3/4" (8%)
Wt: 18lbs 13oz (<3%)

Harper:
Ht: 30 1/2" (18%)
Wt: 19lbs 12 oz (<3%)

So, really, truth be told. L&H are a little chunky if anything. I was taller and weighed less than Harper. So, I'm not the bad Mom. My Mom is.

4 comments:

katherine said...

If it makes you feel any better, I get comments from EVERYbody (neighbors, complete strangers in the grocery store, etc.) about how tubby my L is. Most of them imply we're feeding him too much or not encouraging movement and exercise. He and your sweet babies are fine; just at opposite ends of the scale! Oh and my mom said I wasn't even any nth percentile at that age. :)

BB said...

Yeah and the doctor told me both the boys were going to be over 6 feet - they are still waiting for that to happen!!!!

Happy Home said...

mine are light weights too.

i think as long as they are getting plenty of nutrients and healthy fats for good brain development they are fine but i'll see what my dr. says tomorrow at their 18 mo apt.

Donna said...

Do I need to defend myself? Mean, mean daughter, blaming her mother for the low weight of her babies. If I was such a slacker mom then how did I have such a wonderful, healthy daughter? Besides, Jenny never would have forgiven me if she had been a large child. Damned if you do/damned if you don't.