Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Back off, shorty

Today at library story time Harper was sitting on my lap and Lucy next to us. In the middle of the second story, a little redhead girl came toddling right in front of us and Harper told her, "That's my mommy." Not like she was proud, but territorial. Like Little Red was trying to unseat her. She was also saying "I can't see. Sit down" to kids in front of her who stood up.

On the other end of the scale, apparently Lucy needs to work on standing up for herself. This was brought to my attention last week during my "Parent/Teacher Conference". Lucy, who has no problem saying "Mine!" and "No!" to me, is apparently passive at school when her rights are violated. This must be remedied. So today another girl from the 2 year old set comes and grabs a book from her. I let it slide. But then she came back and grabbed another and I coached Lucy, letting her know it was o.k. to say "No. I am looking at this book." I don't know if Grabby's Dad appreciated it. I tried to explain the learning opportunity, but he just said "She must have thought it was her book." Uh, no. I saw her come over and grab it. And then after looking at the content of the book, "We don't even know anything about Chanukah." Uh, festival of lights? 8 days of gifts? Maybe I should have let him check out the book.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Sign her up for karate classes and she can send the offending kid flying into the reference section. Or spike her juice with a little testosterone. Maybe I'm overreacting?