Monday, January 7, 2008

Commute

Commuting is one thing I didn't think I would miss about working, but now it seems like a nice time to just sit by yourself and think about what you need to do, flip through radio stations, or practice your most colorful curses at other drivers. I have just finished a long day at "work".

I started the day cleaning up a heap of dog diarrhea. Last night Murdoch had consumed; 1/4 bag of veggie chips, 1 new package of dried blackberries, and one nearly completely full box of fig cookies. That would throw anyone's colon through a loop.

We ventured out, going to Baby Day at the Children's Museum. Only children under 3 are permitted and they have a storytime and sing-along. We met our friend Amelia and Laura, and also saw some twin friends - Annie and Wilson there. In fact, I saw another couple of moms I knew. Guess we are all running in the same circles.

After chasing them (they are now skilled in running in two separate directions, and have a penchant for relocating QUICKLY) we headed for lunch at Jo's. This was at almost 11, about when they are usually getting up from the a.m. nap they didn't have. We made it through lunch and headed home. I unloaded two sleepers and deposited them in their cribs. I think I got about 15 minutes before Harper woke up. And wouldn't go back to sleep. This is what I call a "full, clean dishwasher day" because I dont' even have a moment to unload it.

Ruth, Gus and Truman came over for a very welcome distraction and we all of us (including Murdoch) headed to Ramsey Park. Now she falls asleep. About 15 minutes into playing at the park, Harper wakes up with a face that is both pissed and befuddled at the same time - why are we at the park, and why am I not playing here yet??

We get home at about 5:40, and mercifully Daddy has had the forethought to prepare dinner. Finally in bed at 7:20. I feel like I need a transition that a commute once provided. And when I got home from work I would immediately change out of whatever restrictive business casual ensemble and pumps I was wearing. But now I'm wearing baggy shorts, a white cotton shirt (with undetermined food stains)and flip flops. The only thing more comfy than this is pajamas, and that is just excessive.

Think I'll go walk the dog and have a little chat about counter surfing.

2 comments:

katherine said...

My commute was dedicated to communication with friends. No commute, no (or considerably less) phone time with pals.

Cats 1998 said...

you forgot one thing - commuting is hazardous. have to deal with all the jerks on the road swerving through traffic and avoid stuff flying off over-loaded trailers. at least the girls can't kill you between a walk and dinner.