We visited the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Research Center (whew.) this Sunday. A little pre-Earth Day celebration, and a chance to get some bluebonnet pics before they are all gone.
Greg is a big conservationist. He was an eagle scout. One of the principles of scouting is to be Thrify - "a Scout works to pay his way and to help others. He saves for unforeseen needs. He protects and conserves natural resources. He carefully uses time and property." This is pretty much true about Daddy. He is VERY loath to throw anything away. You would know this if you've peered into our closets, garage or storage shed. And, he is very careful with his belongings.
He has made me more of an environmentalist, and we want to raise the girls to love nature and respect the environment. They better, since one of our aspirations is to quit jobs for a year and drive an RV around the country visiting national parks and landmarks.
Here are some ways that we try to go green:
- recycle (or die)
- compost
- green energy program (all our energy is renewable)
- organic foods as much as possible
- natural/organic cleaners - phasing out the 409s and windex in favor of myers, 7th generation and homemade (mostly vinegar and baking soda concoctions)
- Cloth diapers
- wash on cold (not cloth diapers)
- turn off lights
- keep it hot/cold - we leave the thermostat up in the summer and down in the winter (much to the chagrin of Auntie Bean)
- Use bar mops and diapers for washing and drying up instead of paper towels or sponges (they are easier to launder)
- Reusuable shopping bags (when they are not sitting in the back of the station wagon and I'm up at the checkout. oops.)
- Buy pre-owned. You know my obsession with eBay and the consignment stores.
- Using scrap paper for art projects
- Water conservation - I am bathing about 50% of what I was before twins, and the girls bathe together.
We are making a few other changes. We just got an electric mower to replace our gas one. Its summer and I plan to hit the farmers' markets more to buy local produce. I could shop less. My desire for less clutter, more than the environment, is driving that. Our cars aren't the most fuel efficient, but I heart my volvo.
Looking for any good ideas to save the world ;) ... got any?
2 comments:
I married an Eagle Scout, too! They are THE best.
David is an Eagle Scout as well. Won't it be fun for them to take the kids camping some day.
Post a Comment