Friday, April 18, 2008

ToyJoy

I have a love/hate relationship with toys. Love it when they occupy H or L for more than 10 minutes. Hate the plastic. Hate the storage. Hate the chemicals that cause them to go into early puberty (o.k. I just caught a snippet of this on PBS today and ran out of the room). I can't hear you, I can't hear you...

I am now strategizing how to rotate toys in and out. Where to store the "hidden" toys. SuperNanny (my sitter) suggested this to keep things fresh. And Montessori teaching says to let the child play with one item and then put it away. Yeah, sounds good in theory, right?

Some mom friends said they just signed up for BabyPlays. Think NetFlix for toys. I need to read the fine print. What if you lose a piece? There is a place in Austin where you can check out toys(for $5 membership, 5 things at a time). They aren't the toys you find at Toys 'r Us, but I like it. Its like the birkenstock of toys. But, sometimes you need a nice peep-toe pump.

These kids (from the website) look like they are having a blast. With plastic rings. Is that really where the $36/month is going?

3 comments:

RG Mama said...

Ok. I had a mild panic attack when I read the post title. Thought about the store TJ and pictured taking my twins in there w/out a stroller (b/c one would NEVER fit through that tiny place) and started hyperventilating. I'm ok now. And I'm ver' ver' curious about the rent-a-toy place now.

Smooch said...

That's not really considered a children's toystore, is it? I haven't been in there since I would actually buy toys for children.

RG Mama said...

Yep, they do have toys for the tiny set, too. But I will NOT be shopping in there with the RGs. Not without a paper bag at least.