Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bedlam

What have I done? I decided the solution to our next step in sleeping was the toddler beds. They kept getting out of their cribs. I had just sold our crib tents. Someone was selling 2 cute pottery barn toddler beds in my Mothers of Multiples group. We weren't prepared to spend $2000 on twin beds (pssst. the economy is real bad) and I wasn't ready to get rid of my double rocker to make room. Thus, the toddler beds.

The girls were excited when I told them. Lucy started her mileaminutecan'ttakeabreath talking. She wanted a pink bed, cuz that's her favorite, but was still o.k. with the white.

Harper made her excited face.


We kept the cribs in there because we weren't sure how things were going to go and didn't have time to disassemble.

Night 1: Multiple exits. Crying running around. About 45 minutes into it Lucy ended up in the crib. Harper stayed in the big girl bed. Slept pretty well.

Day 2: 7 a.m wakeup - there goes my 15 - 45 minutes of sleep in time. Nap. Didn't happen. After about 1.5 hours of trying I finally bit the bullet and took them on a tour of parks. On the way there they were saying, "My tired." Yeah, I bet you are. But you are going to do the monkey bars, girl. And run wind sprints. I was determined if they were up they were going to be running around and not getting a free pass by popping in Nemo.

Night 2: Due to exhaustion, they fell asleep about 40 minutes after lights off. I had to stay in the room.

Day 3: 6:45 wake up. Wha? They used to wake up then, but would go back to sleep. Now they sit and scream for me. Went for a slightly later nap, which was actually successful. Think they were still exhausted from Day 2. Slept for about 1.5 hours.

Night 3: Crying. Falling out of bed. Climbing into sister's bed. Hitting. Leaving room. Running around. I tried everything. Staying in the room. Rubbing backs. Threats. Bribes. Silence finally came at about 9:40. I think I just need to plan to stay in there with a six pack and phone tetris tomorrow night.

The change and newfound freedom is just too exciting. Especially when you have a friend to share in the excitement. I remember freshman year of high school, we had a cheerleading competition in Williamsburg, VA. My parents and my BFF drove down the night before and we stayed at the Econo Lodge. Me and BFF GOT OUR OWN ROOM. Which, you know, means you stay up all night drinking coke, eating doritos (nacho cheese, pre cool ranch days)doing gymnastics down the halls, jumping on the beds and staying up WAY past Fantasy Island. The difference? My parents probably slept through it. Having their own room and all. Very clever.

I am expecting mega grumps tomorrow. But maybe a nap?

The beds, when they were still cute.

1 comment:

Happy Home said...

your nuts, i don't want to say i told you so but...

our life has not been the same since we switched to toddler beds.

cute beds though.