When I'm out and about with the girls, I brace myself for the follow up question after "are they twins?" I have heard tale of people saying things such as..
*asking if girl/boy twins are identical. (as BJWT says, "Penis. Vagina.")
*saying things such as "she's the pretty one"
*asking "are they natural?" (acually, they are robots. Thank goodness I can just shut them down at the end of day, right??!!!)
*Asking, "which one is older?"
That last one really befuddles me. They are 10 minutes apart. Did Lucy gain 10 minutes of wisdom over Harper while she was being cleaned up and checked over? Did her pushing her way further down sooner give her the right to lord it over her sister for the next 2 decades (because after that it will be cooler to be the younger one)?
But quite a few times lately people have said (knowing that they are twins), "She's the older one, right?" about Harper. I can only think because she's taller. And looks more mature than Lucy (who has luscious, cherub cheeks and ringlets). But, 10 minutes of aging wouldn't really show on a person, would it?
It is also personality. Harper is more likely to go sit on the quilt at storytime or let the teacher at yoga help her with a handstand than is Lucy. Lucy hangs back with me a little. My theory on the birth order - she wanted to get out to get to Mommy first.
Monday, March 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's because most people are incredibly dumb. When I was in high school I worked at a movie theater. We had three popcorn tubs on top of the popper. At least once a day someone would ask which was the medium sized.
LOL!! I get asked those questions too. And, my "younger" and "taller" one is also the one who goes and sits on the quilt at storytime while the "older" with chubby cheeks sits in the back w/me. :)
We get this, too. Em is the elder by an entire minute. And also the taller of the 2. She is usually pronounced the eldest, as well. Lucky guess.
Post a Comment