Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Getting Older

The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

- Madeleine L'Engle

We all hit a landmark today. Me - 37. Harper and Lucy - 2 1/2. They are getting bigger. I try to stop it, but its happening. The other day Harper told me "We're girls." As in, not babies. Though sometimes they definitely need babying. I mourn that my baby days are behind me. They are going to be big squirmy, talky-backy, sharp-elbowed girls in no time.

There are benefits to this - self-sufficiency, no more diapers, increased ability to converse. But I still get that little pit in my gut.

I look at myself, and think "what would 25 year old me think of me?" I drive a mini van. I carry a large bag with wipes and snacks and band-aids in it. (it is a cute orla kiely though) I don't really like to stay out past 10 pm, even on the weekends. The other day I actually told some teenagers at the park to stop standing on the baby swings.

Of course, 25 year old Jenny didn't get sweet birthday hugs and kisses from two two and a half year olds.

3 comments:

BB said...

Just remember - time doesn't stand still, no matter what age you are!

Rachel Burke said...

Happy Birthday Jenny! You're right, nothing better than hugs and kisses from the baby girls. God has truly blessed you with those smart and beautiful girls.

https://crownmadeclothing.com/ said...

Yes, happy birthday! I know exactly what you mean about the "25 year old me". Sometimes I miss those baby free days. But I don't miss the hangovers. :)