We threw the girls' 1st birthday party this past Saturday. This was my first party in a LONG time (I swore off parties in 2005 1. when people neglected to attend when they said they would and 2. I threw a "lame" party), and the first child-tolerant party ever. I think it went off pretty well, but I definitely learned a few things that I feel compelled to share.
1. Baking is hard. Its organic chemistry hard. Bake ahead of time. First batch of cupcakes didn't rise and 1/2 of them burned. If you are using a cake mold - lots of crisco and flour. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Then flip it onto a cooling rack. I have made the mistake in the past of letting the cake sit in the pan overnight. Chunks of cake will stay with the pan.
2. Decorating with pastry bags is a mess. Make lots of extra icing because half of it will end up on your hands, your clothes, your hair. Icing also must have the perfect consistency. Thick enough not to melt and run everywhere, but soft enough to spread. Use a failed cake as a tester if available. I was dreaming of cupcakes the night before the party.
3. The party will actually start 30 minutes after what your invitation says. I thought "fashionably late" did not apply to the under 2-toting set, but was wrong.
4. Have booze available. Especially if its a child party. Will make it more fun for everyone. Even better - have a few in the 1/2 hour before anyone comes where you're wondering if anyone is going to show up and eat your 72 baby quiches.
5. Everyone will eat your 72 baby quiches. Buy backups.
6. Cutting the crusts off sandwiches makes them "fancy".
7. Costco artichoke spinach parmesan dip. Place in shallow baking dish and broil.
8. Guest list explosion. I tried to keep the celebration "small" and only sent out 15 or so invites, but everyone now has a spouse/date, plus an average of 2.2 kids. I looked around at one point and couldn't believe how many humans were in my living room. This is a testament that we are truly blessed with close friends who are willing to tolerate pink-iced cupcakes and finger sandwiches.
Photos to follow.
Sunday, September 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It turned out to be a fantastic party. Everyone looked like they had a good time. I know Lily and I had a great time. Mom enjoyed her 'to go' cupcake too. So be rest assured that all your hard work paid off splendidly.
And thanks for the tips. I was considering baking for our party after seeing your impressive spread but maybe I'll just pick up cakes from CM this time around. It sounds like much more work than I'm up to at this point.
Check out some cute party pics on my blog.
jennifer
Great party Mommy! Mmmmmm cupcakes. Chocolate with white icing - my favorite.
i want you to know that I really am re-reading your tips as I bake the trips b-day cakes right now.
so far so good, cakes are cooled dumped on cake rack and made it the platter safe and sound.
next up, icing.
Post a Comment